The Palais Theatre is currently undergoing it’s biggest renovation since opening in November 1927 with around $26 million being invested in the Venue by the State Government, Local Government and Live Nation which will breath new life in to this wonderful and historic art deco Venue.
The Palais Theatre started life as a picture theatre in 1927 and operated as such until making the transition to a live music venue during the early 1950s . Following is a snap shot of just some of the bands and artists to perform at the Palais Theatre over the years; The Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, The Beach Boys, Roy Orbison, Johnny O’Keefe, Kenny Rogers, John Farman, Chris Isaac, Gipsy Kings, Ross Noble, Jimmy Barnes, Chris Hadfield, Eddie Vedder, Placebo, Dave Chapelle, John Butler Trio, Hunters & Collectors, Jim Jefferies, The Jezabels, UB40, Festival of Russian Ballet, Tenacious D, Mondo Rock, Hi-5, Bob Dylan, Weird Al Yankovic, Adam Lambert, Simply Red, Icehouse, Rufus Wainwright, Brian Wilson, Josh Groban, Jackson Browne and Air Supply.
The works to the venue have been broken down in to two phases to minimise the time frame that the Venue needed to be closed for and to separate the works that were being managed and paid for the City of Port Phillip/State Government and those being undertaken by Live Nation.
Phase One Works
The phase works have been completed and these works were undertaken and funded by the State Government of Victoria and the City of Port Phillip;
- Restoration of the entire exterior of the building (as much as practical, returning it to its original state)
- Repair of external windows and facades
- Structural repairs
- Upgrade of entire electrical system
- Upgrade of lighting system
- Repair and upgrade Palais Theatre Sign
- Upgrade fire system
- Installation of additional safe access walkways
Phase Two Works
The works currently being undertaken and funded by Live Nation are as follows;
- Restoration of the historic ceiling domes inside the Auditorium
- Installation of reduced mode curtains to the upper bowl
- Repair and refurbish front foyer
- Installation of a lift
- Improve mobility impaired facilities such as toilet access, general movement, seating and ticket windows.
- Refurbishment of the performers dressings rooms
- New administration offices
- Installation of a new central beverage outlet on the 1st level foyer
- Repair and replace floor surfaces within the foyers on ground and 1st Level
- Installation of a glass enclosed balcony on 1st level
- Upgrade of food, beverage and merchandise outlets
To keep up-to-date with the Palais Theatre's renovations, subscribe to our newsletter below.